"Because you can't  be everywhere..."

Author Topic: Are you getting unwanted email?  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Mare Stare Support

• Totally Addicted
Are you getting unwanted email?
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
I've been informed that many of you are getting unwanted email from cyberfoaling.com.

This email is illegal spam, for a couple of reasons.

1. You, by registering on our board, did not agree to receive email from them. They used their membership on our board to harvest your email address, in clear violation of our Terms of Service (see the last section, SOLICITATION.) This email is therefore considered SPAM according to the CAN-SPAM act.

2. The email does not contain a working unsubscribe system, thereby classifying it as SPAM.

We at Mare Stare have already banned the offending parties, to the best of our knowledge. However we cannot police every member, nor can we determine with absolute certainty which members are violating our rules by collecting our members' email addresses.

If you do not want to receive unsolicited email. you are urged to take the following steps:

1. To stop future spammers from collecting your email address, click on the "PROFILE" tab on the brown toolbar.  Then click on "Account Related Settings" on the left. Check the box labeled "Hide my email address from public." (We already block guests from seeing your email address, but it can still be seen by registered members, unless you check this box.) Then enter your current password at the bottom of the page and click "Change Profile" to save the change.

2. Reply to the SPAM email from mod3@cyberfoaling.com, and tell them that you wish to be removed from their mailing list, and not to send you any more email.

3. Another step you can take is to report the offender, mod3@cyberfoaling.com, to anti-spam organizations such as SpamCop. To do this you must register at SpamCop (it's free) and you need to copy the complete source of the email and send it to them. They require the complete message source code so they can extract important information about the sender. The site contains instructions on how to obtain the message source code.

We at Mare Stare are deeply sorry that you have been subjected to unsolicited email SPAM. However by being proactive you can help us all rid ourselves of this scum of the internet, and use them to set the example that we will not let ourselves be exploited in this manner.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:04:02 AM by Rich »

Offline Heather

• If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough.
  • Administrator
    • Mulligan's Run Farm ~ The home of Mare Stare
Re: Are you getting unwanted email?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:01:22 AM »
Thank you Rich for clarifying this and for giving us steps to stop this unsolicited and illegal spam.

Have you noticed there are no contact people there either...no names?  Seems very, very shady.   

Offline patpat50

• Totally Addicted
  • Mercedes
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »
thanks rich i just received one this morning titled mod 3..going to profile now to hide my email thanks for the info  :smile1:
Patricia Laffin, Truro Nova Scotia -

Offline spacely

• Totally Addicted
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 06:45:03 AM »
Thanks Rich! However, my email has never been public on this BB & I still get SPAM from them on multiple addresses. My guess is that they are harvesting from other boards also. One got sent to an address I keep but have not actually used in years. Very poor taste on their part. Thank you for addressing this. When they first went live I got 7 invites all sent with in a minute or so of each other.  ::)

Have you noticed there are no contact people there either...no names?  Seems very, very shady.   

Yes, but it's obvious who is behind it all. You also have to be a member of their BB to see it. ::)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:47:30 AM by spacely »

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
When there is so much secrecy it makes you wonder what they have to hide.  Not very good business practices.

Offline patpat50

• Totally Addicted
  • Mercedes
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »
there was a email address sent with mine from the sender and it was not cyberfoaling themselves but a name i did reconize on marestare before,i sent them a nasty email asking that they send me no more invites to cyberfoaling and the email came back to me  as undeliverable. i too have fixed my profile

Offline Heather

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
Was your email from AQHAANDAKC@yahoo.com ?

Offline patpat50

• Totally Addicted
  • Mercedes
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
sending u a personal message heather with the email address who sent it to me ok  :spring:

Offline Phyl

• Totally Addicted
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I received an email from mod 3 and deleted it as spam.  Haven't received another one, but will follow your instructions above.     Phyl
~  Healthy and safe foaling season for everyone. ~

Offline nnyusa

• Bought the Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 04:38:07 PM »
I also recieved a e-mail from cyberfoaling....I did deleted that.....

Offline blacklabs

• Kim
  • Owner/Agent
  • Molly and Burke
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:59:10 PM »
I also got one and mine was from Mod 3 and sent to puppies@fuzbutts.com, it went to my spam.  I do not have that email address.
'Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly'

Offline Shadowfax Farm

• Totally Addicted
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
Add me to the list.....  I already deleted it!!!!   I will now go to my profile and follow those instructions...   Thanks!
Donna
, ,

Offline WyCherie

• Calendar Girl
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
I also received the email for mod3. I used my junk button and have not received anything else yet. I would hide my email address but don't want to miss the chance to receive email from my marestare friends. If I hide it will I still be able to receive marestare messages because they do go to my email address too.
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ~ Immanuel Kant

https://www.facebook.com/WyCherie

Offline Mare Stare Support

• Totally Addicted
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
If you hide your email address, you will still get email notices when you receive a PM. That is a different setting (Notifications and email.)

Also, nothing is stopping you from giving out your email address to anyone privately, if you want to communicate that way. :roflmbo:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 07:09:39 PM by Rich »

Offline Nancy-maobaosharpei

• Totally Addicted
  • Decorated Tuff - "Tuffy"
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
I won't run and hide but I do know where my delete button is......been getting them at addy also.
Nancy Allen Mao Bao Shar-pei
http://nancy.allen.net

La Rue French Bulldogs/ Shar-pei/ horses/Jenny/John
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh36/maobaosharpei
http://nancy.allen.net/horses.htm